Full-Time Youth Worker - Burnaby
At Hollyburn Family Services, we empower growth and inspire change and we’re looking for people to join our team who want to do the same. If this sounds like you, read on. We’d love to have you on our team!
We are looking for a Full-Time Youth Care Worker at our youth therapeutic program in Burnaby. You will work as part of a team to provide support, care, and mentorship to at-risk youth with complex mental health and behavioural challenges. The line is Tuesday-Saturday; 3pm-11pm shifts.
You must have:
- Post-secondary education in Child & Youth Care, Psychology, Criminology, Social Services, or related field, and/or equivalent experience working with at-risk youth
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with at-risk youth with complex mental and behavioural challenges and substance use
- Experience and/or knowledge of the youth justice system
- Demonstrated knowledge of FASD, ADHD, and attachment and trauma issues
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication
- Ability to pass a Criminal Record Check and Ministry of Children and Family Development consolidated check
- Minimum Class 7N BC Driver's License (Class 5 preferred) and acceptable driving record
You’ll score more points if you have:
- Understanding of Indigenous culture and teachings
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification
- Current Naloxone training
- A demonstrated ability to deal with challenging, street-entrenched youth, strategy development, mediation, counseling, advocacy, community networking, and life skills management
- A can-do attitude and willing to step up in challenging situations
- Demonstrated knowledge of different child and youth care approaches, the development of youth service plans, and legislation and government regulations
- Experience with de-escalation and crisis management
- …however, we will provide you the necessary training and certifications in all these areas!
A (small) sample of what you’ll be doing (Full job description available here):
- Maintaining a safe and healthy environment in the home
- Building positive working relationships with the youth, their families, community members, and other professionals (e.g. social workers, probation officers)
- Facilitating recreational and/or educational activities
- Attending school meetings and case conferences when required
- Encouraging and modeling acceptable social standards and setting and maintaining appropriate limits
- Collaborating with the clinical team and providing input into assessments and youth care plans
- Performing household maintenance duties, preparing meals, administering medication
Salary: $21.00-$23.50/hour plus benefits
Because we know our team is our heart and our most important asset, we are proud to offer:
- Hands-on, extensive, and continuous training
- Professional development and advancement within our ever growing organization
- Employer premium paid extended health, dental, vision care, and life insurance. Employees pay their own Long Term Disability premiums.
- 2 weeks paid vacation to start, paid wellness days and sick days
- Group RRSP matching of up to 6% of gross salary
- Tuition reimbursement and subsidies for professional development (e.g. conferences, seminars, courses)
- Casual dress
- Free parking
- Pet-friendly work environment
- And more!
Complete the application process below, telling us why you are the ideal candidate for this position. NB that once you click submit, you cannot come back to your application to add additional files. Please gather all documents you will be submitting before you start your application below.
At Hollyburn, the health and safety of our employees, our clients and everyone’s families is our number one priority. We continue to follow all protocols set forth by Provincial Health and local health authorities as part of BC's Restart Plan.